It’s way past time for the B.C. government to start treating the climate crisis like a true emergency. This summer was a glaring example of the impacts that are already affecting our communities: deadly heat waves, wildfires, drought, floods, crop failure, fisheries collapse, and costly evacuations and infrastructure damage. These climate-related impacts are unprecedented and intensifying, and Indigenous peoples stand to be disproportionately impacted despite having taken care of the land since time immemorial.
But the provincial government’s CleanBC climate action plan is insufficient to limit warming to 1.5°C, and will not keep British Columbians safe from the worst impacts of climate change.
To implement the rapid systemic change that is required, we call on the provincial government to demonstrate the leadership necessary to confront the climate emergency, and immediately undertake the following 10 actions:
- Set binding climate pollution targets based on science and justice
- Invest in a thriving, regenerative, zero emissions economy
- Rapidly wind down all fossil fuel production and use
- End fossil fuel subsidies and make polluters pay
- Leave no one behind
- Protect and restore nature
- Invest in local, organic, regenerative agriculture and food systems
- Accelerate the transition to zero emission transportation
- Accelerate the transition to zero emission buildings
- Track and report progress on these actions every year
Will you add your name to the petition in support of these 10 demands?
Read more about the 10 demands here.